One of my favorite brands is Mineral Fusion who has a wide range of skin care, cosmetics, hair care, nail polish, and body lotions. What I love best about this natural brand is that their goal is to leave our skin and hair in better condition than what we found it. Most importantly, their ingredients are free of the following:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - One of the most irritating cleansing agents used in skin care and personal care products.
- Parabens - According to Cancer.org, "Parabens are chemicals that could be found in skin care products, cosmetics, and antiperspirants. Parabens can be absorbed through the skin." According to BreastCancerFund.org, "Parabens are in the category of being an endocrine disruptor. In addition, the parabens have been identified in biopsy samples from breast tumors." Why risk cancer or negative consequences when there are pure products available that do not contain parabens?
- Talc - Are there hidden dangers in your powder puff? According to the Cancer Prevention Coalition, "Talc is a mineral, produced by the mining of talc rocks and then processed by crushing, drying, and milling. Processing eliminates a number of trace minerals from the talc, but does not separate minute fibers which are very similar to asbestos." Talc particles have been connected to a wide range of cancer. The verdict is still out on whether talc potentially causes cancer. Your best bet is to consider a natural alternative that is talc-free.
- Fragrance - This one is quite explanatory. Who wants to add perfume or synthetic fragrance to their skin? If you have sensitive skin or allergies, the good news is that Mineral Fusion does not contain fragrance.
- Artificial Colors - What some people are not aware of is that artificial colors are synthetic and make beauty products look pretty. Artificial colors have been linked to ADHD, allergic reactions, behavior effects, and cancer. I have seen with my own eyes what red dye #40 can do to a child. Let's just say it's not pretty when your four year old is bouncing off the walls! Need I say more?
- Phthalates - Wondering what this is? According to Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, which I strongly recommend you visit, "Pronounced THAL-ates, these chemicals, which are linked to endocrine disruption, developmental and reproductive toxicity, and cancer, have been banned from cosmetics in the European Union, but still remain prevalent in U.S. products." - See more at: www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/phthalates/#sthash.fIkDzD74.dpuf
- Gluten - Some people with Celiac Disease or a gluten intolerance are highly sensitive to wheat ingredients, including the gluten contained in beauty products. As for my own self who is sensitive to gluten, I try to avoid lipsticks, lip gloss, and lip balms that contain wheat. It's a breath of fresh air to find a wholesome natural line that retails gluten-free beauty products!