Some people have the theory that what they don't know doesn't matter. Truth be told, ignorance is not bliss. Everything we come in contact with truly does impact our health; for better or worse.
If you sincerely want to increase you and your family's quality of life, you could begin by educating yourself by becoming familiar with labels and the terminology. By gaining insight into specific ingredients you can empower yourself as you strive for wellness from the inside out.
For those who may be unaware of which ingredients are helpful versus harmful, let's start with categories to consider. Here's a basic list of area's to check the ingredients:
1) Personal Care Products - Hair products, cosmetics, shaving cream, deodorant, perfume or cologne, skin care, etc.
2) Medicine Cabinet - Check prescription medicine and over the counter drugs, such as pain relievers, fever reducers, antibiotics, birth control, steroids, hormone replacement therapy, antacids, cough syrup, etc.
3) Cleaning Products - Window cleaner, furniture polish, all purpose cleaner, soap scum remover, etc.
4) Packaged, Frozen, & Canned Foods - TV dinners, frozen pizza, cereal, chips, canned food, and all pre-packaged/already made foods.
5) Meat & Sea Food - Poultry, Beef, hot dogs, fish, etc.
6) Dairy - Yogurt, butter, milk, eggs, dip, etc.
7) Sugar, Sugar Substitutes, & Sweeteners - Honey, agave nectar, high fructose corn syrup, Stevia, Splenda, etc.
8) Natural Supplements - Multi-vitamins, omega oils, amino acids, Vitamin C, herbs, essential oils, homeopathic remedies, etc.
9) Oral Care - Toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, etc.
10) Beverages - Juice, soda, tea, coffee, flavored water, etc.
11) Sweets & Baked Goodies - Fudge, chocolate, cookies, cakes, etc.
12) Fast Foods - Burgers, fries, pizza, hoogies, etc.
While this may appear lengthy, it's not an exhaustive list. I continue to discover more area's within my own life that must be addressed to fully understand how my health is effected temporarily and long-term. If you sense that you may need to become an ingredients detective, trust that the end result may bring you to a place of peace of mind and being armed with knowledge.
To take back control over your body, mind, and spirit, it may require your time, energy, and patience. The great news is that building awareness and education will empower you to become a conscious consumer. You will have the choice to make an educated decision based on your knowledge.
There is power in knowledge! When you equip yourself with facts and information it can dramatically alter your overall wellness from merely surviving to successfully thriving!
Stay tune for more blogs to address each category listed above! If you are passionate about wellness and would like to become a contributing writer, please fill out the contact information with details pertaining to your area's of interest.