As a lifetime lover of books, I'm foremost an avid reader. I read a wide variety of genres. Usually, I juggle two or more books at a time. Every single evening, you can find me in my cozy bed glued to a great book. It's relaxing, intriguing, and a wonderful way to unwind.
Whether you have favorite authors or have discovered new authors, here are ways to support them:
- Buy Books: What I find most interesting is that despite the popularity of e-books, most people love reading print books. Every time I ask this question on Facebook, hands down, print books get the most votes.
- Write a Review: Sounds simple, right? In my opinion, most people don't consider how essential book reviews are for authors. This is why some authors, especially new ones, are struggling. From an author standpoint, it's crucial to receive reviews because this is how we build our writing platform. It gets the word out for others to gain more insight about the book and to consider a reader's perspective. It doesn't have to be long; only a few sentences about what you liked (or didn't like) about the book. The more positive reviews, the merrier!
- Books Make Great Gifts: It's perfect for Christmas, birthdays, baby showers, Mother's Day, anniversaries, a thank you present, and special occasions. For those uncertain of which books to buy as gifts for friends or family, consider a gift card from a bookstore or Amazon.
- Promote the Book on Social Media: After reading a book that resonated with you or had a positive impact on your life, share it on social media. Tell your friends and followers what you loved best about the book. Even better, share the link so others can order it, too.
- Follow the Author on Social Media: Most authors will have an author fan page on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, other websites. Click the "like" button and follow them on the different social media sites.
- Share the Love: When you enjoy a particular post from your favorite author on social media, share it to your profile page. I guarantee, you will make their day!
- Review the Book on Your Blog: Another great way to show an author appreciation is to write a book review on your own blog. Make sure to include the author's websites and ways for the readers to find their books.
- Take a Selfie with the Book: Have some fun by snapping a picture of yourself with the author's book. Then share it on social media. I've been tickled pink by seeing pictures of my readers holding my books.
- Invite the Author to Speak at Your Club, Association, or Ministry: Authors need two things; book sales and exposure to new audiences. You could accomplish both by inviting them to speak at your next event or meeting. Earlier this year, I had the opportunity to speak to 170 people at the Women's Power Surge Conference. During breaks, I had a table set up with my book, Reinventing You: Simple Steps to Transform Your Body, Mind, & Spirit. It was a big blessing to sell 16 books!
- Book Club: If you are already in a book club or decide to start one, online or in person, you can support many authors by choosing their books for your group to read.
- GoodReads: Add each author's book to your GoodReads list of books. Follow authors on this website. Like the author's books and quotes. Remember to rate the books on GoodReads and write a brief book review.
- Book Launch Group: Most authors are looking for people who are interested in previewing their book before it's launched. If you know an author preparing to launch his/her book, join their launch group. Then read their book, write a review, and start promoting their book on social media. I've done this for many authors and it's always appreciated. As for myself, this is probably the biggest issue that I struggle with. Many folks claim to want to read my books before they're released, but after the launch, they haven't written a book review. Anyone have tips on how they successfully gain reviews from their launch group members?
- Tell Your Friends & Family: If you enjoy a book or find it extremely inspiring, motivating, or encouraging, always tell your friends and family about it. People tend to trust the recommendations of their friends and family than they do a stranger on Twitter. Share your favorite books with those you love!
- Write an Email to Your Favorite Author: The most powerful word of encouragement that you can give an author is by simply emailing them a note to give positive feedback. Explain how their book helped you or benefited you. I've received many unexpected emails from strangers who thanked me for my books. It's always such a breath of fresh air when someone takes the time to share how much my books have helped them, encouraged them, and provided them hope.
Do you have other idea's on how to show appreciation to authors? If so, feel free to comment and share my post.
For those who want to read my books or have already done so and you would like to write a book review, here's the link on Amazon.